Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Journey Begins

On Wednesday night I spent the last little bit of time I had with B until his dad came and picked him up. Then I cried myself to sleep on the couch and slept with my puppies. The hubs slept up stairs with the cats...I am sure you can tell whose pets are whose.

Thursday morning I was up not so bright eyed and not so bushy tailed at 4 am. I cried some more. Geez it was hard leaving B-ray and the pups behind. My body was pretty much right on schedule. That just means that I get to start my vacation on my period-bummer. Our flight was uneventful-although my wussy hubby would say it was a "rough ride". One day he's got to man up with this whole flying thing-he's totally losing the man card he has left. We got to Mexico at 2:50 and had to high tail it through the airport to get to the doctors office by 4 pm. This was not my ideal scenario, but a minor glitch in scheduling and we were forced into a time crunch. We made it through immigration quickly and on to customs. (Red light....Green light) I prayed for green because going through five bags was going to be torturous. Green it was-phew! We got to the doctors where we were greeted by two extremely warm and inviting office staff. The office was modern and clean. The doctor performed an ultrasound and I was given the green light to start my meds the following day.  I was relieved to find out we only had to take one shot a day.

Our transportation arrived and we were finally on the way to our hotel!!

Impatiently waiting...

We arrived at the Marriott after a somewhat white knuckled taxi ride. BofA had put a flag on our card even after we called and told them we'd be in Mexico. After an agonizing phone call with the idiot they call a customer service rep, we got our keys and rushed eagerly to our room. By this point the hubs and I were wound up so tight from stress, anxiety and excitement that all we could manage was to eat dinner and pass out.

Day 2

The hubs and I both slept surprisingly well then spent most of our second day getting scorched by the ocean then by the pool.  I read my book and enjoyed a drink while the hubs read his "book" (I'd call it a children's picture book) and got giddy over his iguana colada. We had an amazing late lunch/early dinner at an oceanfront seafood restaurant. Then back to our hotel room to confront my worst nightmare. 

My worst nightmare...

I told the hubs about this magical trick a nurse had once done. When I was hyper ventilating she thumped me kind of hard in one place and stuck the needle in another...it was amazing. I was more focused on the thump then the needle. After two glasses of wine and a shot of tequila I was still no where near ready for this, but the hubs pulled it off! It was over...yeah well for the night anyways.

Day 3

On day three we enjoyed the hotel fitness center, the breakfast buffet (good thing we got this included in our stay because $50 a day for breakfast would have been a little much), then we grabbed a cab to one of the local shopping centers. We took a shot of tequila as we were shopping in one of the markets. The hubs takes a shot like a wuss. We ate lunch with dolphins swimming below us, iguanas walking past us and a band singing in front of us. The hubs had some disgusting looking shrimp, octopus, squid mixture which he inhaled. I took a safer route with some amazing shrimp. Then off for round two of me against the needle. Again, not as bad as I imagine in my head, but it definitely burns a little more when I only have one shot of tequila. 

The hubs had been watching the turtle sanctuary area all day.  Kudos to the hubs because we were able to send a brand new baby turtle to its new home in the ocean...which even I can admit is pretty cool. And those baby turtles are ADORABLE.  I named mine Little Guy. He was way faster than the hub's turtle. 

Day 4

We are becoming pros in Cancun. We got smart after talking to the concierge and made our way by city bus to the ferry for Isla Mujeres. It was an amazing day. We rented a golf cart and rode around the city. The hubs can finally leave me alone about the turtles. He has now seen more turtles than most people have seen in a lifetime. 

Day 5

It is the 5th day and this will be the the first time we head back to the doctor's office. Our patient facilitator will be picking us up at 9:30 to take us to the doctor for some bloodwork then I plan on another day of relaxation in paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment